Into the City

This last week I had the opportunity to work a bible camp in Milwaukee. I want to be honest with you. I was terrified. I am not a big city girl, but more of country girl at heart. The first thing that terrified me was driving in the city. SERIOUSLY, people are legit crazy and they drive sooooo FAST….I was scared for my life 😲The second thing that made me uneasy was being in a rough neighborhood. The thought of violence, crime, and shootings consumed my mind. That in itself was enough to stop me from wanting to go, but then I hurt my knee playing basketball. In a way I felt so much relief hurting my knee, I had a reason not to attend the camp. My anxiety was at a high, it was the perfect out.

The battle in my head was all consuming. I was absolutely terrified and no part of me wanted to go especially because I could hardly walk, but I felt an overwhelming pull on my heart that I couldn’t shake. It was a feeling that if I didn’t go I would miss out on an opportunity for the Lord to work in my heart. I had to make a decision, would I step out in faith and trust God or would I once again let my emotions lead me. I'm more familiar with letting my feelings lead me, that's usually the path I take. If I don't feel like doing something or if I'm scared I just don't do it. The last few years I've been trying to be more conscious of where my heart is leading me, so instead of going with what my head was telling me I stepped out in faith and followed God's lead.

When I think back and reflect on this experience I wonder why I was even scared. That’s what fear does, it lies to you. I know this, but everytime the fear surfaces it feels so real. The emotions are so hard to push past. I often feel it will get easier to face my fears, but it never does. I still feel like the same old Kara everytime I step out of my comfort zone, scared and weak….but that’s right where God wants me. He wants me to learn how to rely on Him for strength and that’s how I’ve learned to build trust in Him.

Fear often keeps us from experiencing what God wants to do in our lives. I was sick to my stomach as my kids and I ventured into a part of the city that was unfamiliar to me. The poverty, the abandoned building, the graffiti, the homeless, those were things I don't often experience. I was in unfamiliar territory, but the thing is, the moment we arrived and began setting up for our camp I felt at ease. I had an overwhelming feeling that I was in the exact place I was meant to be. It no longer felt unfamiliar, but rather somewhere I belonged. Like I had lived in the city my whole life...

Entering into the uncomfortable somehow stretches you. My head tells me that staying in my comfort zone is what I want, but my heart reminds me that stepping out will give me what I crave. I want more of God, I want more of what He has to teach me, I want to feel real fulfillment, peace and joy. What I fear the most is often what fills my heart the most. The last few years I’ve faced fears like being vulnerable with others, asking forgiveness from those I’ve wronged, admitting weakness, sharing what’s on my heart, all those things I have been terrified to do (I still am)... but by facing those fears and many others , my life has been changed. By stepping out in faith I've been discovering who I am. Not who I think I am, but who God created me to be.

Don’t let fear lie to you, don't let it dictate who you are. You are not defined by your weaknesses or your fear, but rather by the Lord. We can all experience strength we never knew we had, but only when we put our trust in the Lord ♥️

#ThankYouFather #AllTheGloryGoesToGod 
#maybeImMoreOfACityGirlThanIThought πŸ˜‰
#soMuchFun #suchAGreatExperience #AllThekidsWereSuchABlessingToMe #lotsOfHugs #LotsOfLove  ♥️😍

2 Corinthians 12:9
“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."

Ephesians 3:16-17
“I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.”







No comments: