h

My son and I were laying on the couch chatting about our most embarrassing moments. When it was my turn, I explained to him that a several years ago there was a misunderstanding between a friend. I misspoke and said something real stupid. When I finished my story he could barely keep it together. He began laughing out loud, " Oh my GOSH Mom, why would you say that..."

"I don't really know buddy....it was real stupid of me. I can do and say idiotic things sometimes...." 🤦
After I said that he got real serious in his response, " Don't ever say those things about yourself Mom. You are not an idiot or stupid. You shouldn't believe lies like that about yourself, they aren't true."
I'm going to back you up in the story a bit….The day before this happened, my son had a basketball tournament and after the tournament he was really upset with how he played. He kept saying how awful he was and that he played crappy. He said, "I'm not good at anything, I SUCK at everything". I looked him in the eye and got real serious…. " Buddy, listen to yourself for a second...Do you hear the lies? Do you recognize them? Don't believe that about yourself, it isn't true"....
Sound familiar 😉🤗❤️
I went on to remind him that his performance doesn't define him, the Lord does... I explained to him that his negative self-talk is destructive and the lies that he is allowing himself to believe will only derail him. I told him the hardest part is to recognize the lies, but when we seek the Lord we will know the truth, and the truth will set us free. [John8:32] I told him that the Lord gifted him athletically and regardless of how well he played, he was still gifted, worthy, created for a purpose, loved and truly valued!
Much of what I say to my son goes in one ear and out the other, I thought he was tuning me out as I was speaking to him. I swear it's in those moments that I think my kids aren't listening, that they are soaking up every single word I'm saying. Even though I really didn't think I was stupid or an idiot, when my son responded to me yesterday by telling me not to believe the lies, it was evident that he not only heard what I said after his game, but it resonated…. deep within his soul.
What I spoke to my son that day after his game, it wasn't just mere words, it was the Truth! [The word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword - Hebrews 4:12] ...The Scripture is God breathed [2 Timothy 3:16-17] and I've seen it's power not only in my life, but also in my children's life. Whenever my son speaks his thoughts to me and I notice they are tainted with lies, the only thing that I've found that opens his eyes to the truth about himself, is scripture!
It's so upsetting to see my son struggle the same way I do. I lived captive to the lies and darkness most of my life. The perspective I had of myself was so unhealthy, distorted and completely untrue. I see those same lies trying to creep into my son's mind too, but what I want my son to realize is he doesn't have to live captive to those thoughts. I used to feel like a prisoner to my weak mind and I lived in darkness for so long, but It was Jesus who set me free ❤️🙏
The Lord…. He saved me…..
He is the one who fights my battles now!
I used to try so hard to fight the battle in my mind, I wanted victory so badly. I see my son fighting that way too… with mere will power he fights…He tries to change his own thoughts, but with no success. I can empathize because when I fought that way, will power just wasn't enough….all I ever experienced was defeat when I fought that way. Victory only happened after I learned to give up control and stop fighting in my own strength...Now I allow the Lord to fight for me. It's through his power that I am strong and victorious 🙌❤️
Ephesians 6:10-18
" Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes."

No comments: