L

During one of my son's games this weekend he experienced a situation where he was "kicked while he was down"....
My mama heart broke to pieces watching him hold back tears as he tried to compose himself on the field. There is not a whole lot of things I can think of that hurt worse than being criticized, yelled at, or put down for something that you already feel absolutely horrible about.
After we got home from my son's game I was still so upset.. I was in full mama bear mode ...full of emotion, tears streaming down my face, I said….
"It's not right…. people shouldn't treat each other that way, I'm so mad right now…teammates should build each other up, not tear each other down…."
My son's response,
"Mom, I'm over it…. It's done.
Why don't we just extend him some grace"
I literally had no words, I started crying even harder as I choked out.....
"You are right my boy, you are so right!"
In that moment my heart softened, my eyes were opened and my emotions dissipated. The truth my son spoke to me literally set me free. It was a reminder to me how easy it is to let anger and bitterness creep in. It's love, grace and forgiveness that truly sets us free!
That night, there was nothing left to say about the situation. We got ready for bed and as we cuddled up next to each other …...we prayed.
We prayed that the Lord continues to create in us hearts like Him. A heart that is empathetic, selfless, patient, loving, kind, and humble. A heart that is quick to forgive. A heart that is able to love those that are hardest to love, to forgive those who hurt us, and a heart that extends grace and kindness to all. A heart that gives selflessly, loves lavishly, gives grace freely.... And does not expect anything in return.
I saw a glimpse of Jesus in my son's heart yesterday night, truly an answer to prayer. My son's words gave me perspective and they set my eyes back on what's truly important. It was not only powerful, but also truly humbling to have my own child speak truth into my life! Thank you Lord

Matthew 5:44
But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!
1 Thessalonians 3:12
And may the Lord make your love for one another and for all people grow and overflow

No comments: